21 July 2007

» Windows Explorer as FTP client [step-by-step]

For those who didn't know, you can use windows explorer as an FTP client (kind of).
Here is a step-by-step how you can do this. Might be useful if you are working on a PC and you don't have an FTP application installed, this is very easy and takes no time at all.

I can't tell you if this works with any server, at least the ones I tried it worked.
(Never mind all the Portuguese stuff, if you are interested you can always use a translator.)

1 » Open the windows explorer (press WIN+E) and then type the FTP name server which you are going to connect to in the address bar and press enter, don't forget to use "ftp://".
In this case I used ftp://pwp.netcabo.pt/


2 » A small pop-up window should open up and you should fill blank spaces with your user information. In this case I used my own user name to connect to this server "oldman" and my password (no, I'm not gonna tell you) and then press enter.

Note: this step is not needed if you are trying to connect a public server.


3 » Here it is, my own folder on pwp.netcabo.pt, yours should look like this too, it's a simple window you might be accustomed if you use Windows OS like me [not for a long time].

This ain't no special folder, it's a folder like every others but its content isn't hosted on your computer but in a server.



4 » You are now ready to upload your file(s) to server. Just open a new window, select your file(s) and drag them into the server window.
As you probably know it may take a few minutes depending on file(s)'s size.


5 » After that, this small window will pop up and you'll just have to wait until the process is over. It's just like when you copy some file into your portable drive or even into a new folder from your computer.



6 » Here it is, the process is over, the upload is complete and my file is now on the server.
I could access it from any computer by opening FireFox (or any other browser) and typing "http://pwp.netcabo.pt/oldman/mp3.txt" in the address bar.
Where "pwp.netcabo.pt" is the server name, "oldman" is my user name and "mp3.txt" is the name of my file.

PS. don't try to find this file, is already deleted.



Hint: Just in case you didn't know when you want to take a print screen of a specific window you can press ALT+PrtScr instead of just pressing PrtScr and then cut the windows bar on photoshop or something.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

go home!



my world visitor map